Placement/Admissions Test Information
The rationale and procedure for Placement examinations are discussed in the UHC Catalog in the section titled Assessment Program .
The ACT COMPASS placement/admissions test is a standardized exam. Test scores are used to determine an applicant's current level of English, reading and mathematics. The ACT Compass placement/admissions test determines if a student is currently ready for college level English and Math or if they are in need of a transitional course(s) that is at the developmental level.
If test scores are below UHC developmental course offerings, it is then recommended to the applicant, to do one of the following:
1. further review the course subject(s), with a tutor
2. seek community college instruction and re-test after one full semester.
The placement test is comprised of three sections: English, Math and Reading. This is an untimed test that takes approximately 2 to 2.5 hours.All degree-seeking students (first-time freshmen, transfer, and re-admit) who do not have current appropriate ACT scores for placement purposes, or who have not passed college-level English and/or a college-level math course with a grade of "C" or higher, may be required to take the placement/admissions test. If previous college credits are older than ten years, Placement/Admissions testing may be recommended/suggested for appropriate course level placement.
For students wishing to prepare for the placement/admissions test, study booklets describing the content of the tests are available in the Office of Admissions, as well as the Center for Teaching and Learning (tutoring area), located on the 1st floor. For more information, please call 398-2123.
Here's what you need to know about the day of the test:
- Bring a photo ID & your own calculator
- Know your social security number
- Cell phones and pagers of any kind must be turned off
- No food or drinks are allowed in the test area
- Students who may need testing accommodations due to a documented disability (no older than 5 years) must contact Ms. Reed at 398-2236 at least one week prior to the test date.
Helpful Hints for Taking the Compass Placement/Admissions Test
For more information, contact the Center for Teaching and Learning at 504-398-2123 to schedule an appointment.